Pages

Friday 31 January 2014

January Films

Films that I watched and enjoyed in January. 



The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 
The classic story of a day-dreamer who escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened Walter takes action in the real world, embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.
I guessed I would enjoy this film purely from reading the synopsis and I was right. I loved this film so much. For me the highlight of the film was most definitely the scenery, especially the Iceland ones. I also thought the soundtrack was great especially Kristen Wiigs' version of David Bowies' Space Oddity.  I left the theatre wanting to travel and take on the world! 9/10

17 Fille | 17 Girls
Seventeen teenage girls at a school in small-town France become pregnant at the same time, baffling the adults -- and the boys -- in their lives.
As an avid fan of foreign films and unusual plots I found this film in the depths of netflix. Although it did end up more emotional than I had assumed it would be, I thought the plot was pretty good. It showed how intelligent yet naive the girls were and this view developed as the film progressed. 6.5/10

Grave Encounters
Shot in found footage style, the footage follows the crew of a paranormal reality television programme who lock themselves in a haunted psychiatric hospital in search of evidence of paranormal activity as they shoot what ends up becoming their final episode.
I have a confession, I'm a huge fan of paranormal programmes and one in particular, Ghost Adventures, is exactly the same as the show in this film. Although it got off to a slow start it picked up and had me hiding behind my covers. The horror in this is more of a 'sit and wait for something to happen' than an outright scary thing. If you're a fan of Paranormal Activity or similar films then you'll enjoy Grave Encounters. Plus there's a sequel! 7/10

Medianeras | Sidewalls 
Separated by the wall their apartments share, Mariana and Martín are without question the perfect couple. There's just one problem: They've never met.
Yet another foreign film with an unusual plot. I connected with both characters and the idea of being small in a big city. I'm not sure what else to say apart from it was a nice film that I would watch again!  8/10 

Frozen
The film tells the story of a fearless princess who sets off on an epic journey alongside a rugged, thrill-seeking mountain man, his loyal pet reindeer and a hapless snowman to find her estranged sister, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom in an eternal winter.
After seeing all the hype on tumblr about Frozen I just had to see it! I'm not a Disney maniac but like everyone I enjoy good songs and animated snowmen. I really appreciated how the plot was focused more on the sisters than a romance. The unexpected villan (spoilers!) shocked me and added an interesting twist. I can't not mention the songs, 'Let it Go' is just one of those songs that you belt out and then feel instantly like you can do anything! A good film for children and adults alike. 8/10

Saved!
When Mary, a devout senior at a Christian high school, accidentally gets pregnant, she starts to see her peers and her faith in a whole new way.
Intrigued by the 'Faith and Spirituality' genre on netflix I was drawn to this film, the whole premise of the film is pretty unlikely but it ends up being genuinely good and heartwarming. Overall it's funny and it's weird seeing well known actors before they were famous. 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment